Friday, August 15, 2014

I am a woman not plastic

A story from my childhood:
I was about 3 years old, living in the suburbs outside of Pittsburgh where I attended a private Christian school. I grew up in a quiet neighborhood and loving atmosphere. I had friends on my street that I used to play with everyday. 
There was a hot day in the middle of summer, year 1999. I was wearing a two piece bathing suite as I walked outside into the heat. 
Across the road a neighbor saw my adorable self and said something like 'her chubbiness is so cute!' 
I heard her and became immediately self conscious. I ran inside and didn't want to be in my bathing suite anymore
I was this appearance oriented already at the age of 3. I'm sure that any little kid can be shy but I feel like this situation was directly linked to the media's portrayal of women and even girls. 
People focus so much on how we look and always comment on our hair our clothes our makeup our looks that we start to focus on them just to get approval by others. This happens even to tiny children!
And I'm getting really bored and fed up with it. I do not want to be acknowledged for my fashion choices as the main facet of my being lol. I am a woman! I am a sensitive empathic creative human that is loving! And thats what I want to be noticed for.
I have really been soul diving and allowing myself to stray away from the media's ideal of a perfect body. I am adopting myself the way I am. 
The truth of the whole matter is, if you feel good you will look good. Not the other way around.
Superficiality is appealing temporarily but it will never satisfy our need to be accepted and loved unconditionally.
If you are a woman who dresses up to look good, if you do your hair and makeup everyday, if you feel naked in public without those, realize: you are beautiful without those things. You can feel confident without adding anything.
You don't have to try!
Please encourage girls and women in your life that they are beautiful just as they are. Even if you are around women who are self assured and seem put together, trust me, they really need to hear it. 
The most beautiful women in the world tend to not realize just how beautiful they are because they are trying to reach a standard. Please tell your mom, your sister, your girlfriend, your best friend just how beautiful and unique and amazing she is. Tell her at a time when she would least expect it, like in a pair of sweat pants with her hair up, or after yoga. 
We need to change the way women see themselves. This is truly an epidemic that I have personally fallen victim to. 
Men, you too! You have the ability to change this mindset just as much as women do. 
Share this with a woman you love. And keep encouraging young girls to be themselves. 
Practice not looking in the mirror so often and see how it changes the way you see yourself. I like you just the way you are, I hope you do too.

Try by Colbie Caillat:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GXoZLPSw8U8

No comments:

Post a Comment